Monday 1 February 2010

Andy Murray

Obviously I have been glued for the last 2 weeks to the Aussie Open Tennis. I have always maintained, having seen them both play at Wimbledon, that Andy Murray was streets ahead of Tim Henman and therefore our best bet to end the 74 year male grand slam drought. That was until yesterday, when I thought that Murray had come out without a game plan and seemed like a bunny caught in the headlights. Yes, he played some good tennis but was always a step behind Federer.. in comparison to the way he was beating Nadal when he retired, it was like a different person was on court. However I think my immediate reaction was wrong. Not only was the whole blubbing like a baby completely unexpected, showing his disappointment and frustration, and his own belief that he could do better than that, but the comments made by Federer this morning have made me realise that Murray did OK yesterday, Federer thinks that yesterdays match was the best he has ever played - and Murray still broke his serve and had him running about at times like he was an amateur. Having slept on it, I still believe that Murray will win a grand slam, and soon, and that once he has one the first many more will follow!.... Feel free to get me to eat my hat in a few years if I am proved wrong!